The bustling city of Rio de Janeiro has been one of Brazil’s most popular and frequented tourist destinations for decades. Its vivacious city centre is bursting with culture and pulsating with a profound sense of history and heritage. Rio, as it is commonly known, is the second largest city in Brazil and the third largest metropolis in the whole of South America
How to get there:
Flights to Rio from Pakistan are usually via Dubai within a day depending on the route taken.
Where to stay:
Sheraton Grand on Leblon beach is a 4-star luxury hotel and resort boasting rooms with spectacular views of the ocean. The resort has 3 outdoor pools, fine dining as well as a casual pizza bar, a spa and a kid’s club. A free beach shuttle is also available.
What to do:
- Surf the incredible waves off Prainha.
- Explore the lush Tijuca’s dense rainforests, which boast several hiking trails for those wanting to experience the fauna and flora first hand.
- Laze on the shores of Ipanema Beach or one of the many other beaches for which this city is renowned.
- Marvel at the sheer scale of the statue of Christ the Redeemer as it overlooks the city far below.
- Take the cable car up Sugarloaf Mountain for spectacular views.
- Stroll down the famous Avenue Nossa Senhora de Copacabana.
- Take an official walking tour of Rio, learning fascinating facts about its historical and modern-day heritage.
- Wander amongst the more than 5 000 species of plants and trees at the Jardim Botânico (Botanical Garden). The palm species alone exceed 900.